Followers

Saturday 24 November 2012

From Birmingham... with love xxx

Hi everyone! What miserable weather we are having today, not impressed! Although have still had a really lovely day with my other half doing some crafty shopping and looking at Christmas decorations! He is good!

A recent order I had was probably one of the most challenging I have had so far. A card to send to Australia for Christmas with a Birmingham theme. The recipient is a Brummie and has not long left for sunnier climates.  How I did it and what was on it was up to me.  Hmmmmmmmm.

It is so difficult to capture a city in a card.  You have to think about landmarks and things that are relevant to local people of that place.  As a Brummie myself who left 2 years ago I was thinking what I would want to see on a card to do with my hometown.


I used silver as the backing paper to get a bit of a festive feel going, then I found an amazing picture of the Selfridges building at night time that I felt was perfect for the main backing image. 
Everyone, Brummie or no Brummie is familiar with the Bull Ring and the iconic bull that stands outside. So he definitely had to go on the card!  
On the left hand side where the ribbon is I used my epiphany tools to make this embellishment.   I got a picture of the BT tower which is the centrepiece of the Birmingham skyline. Infact until I moved to Sutton Coldfield at 7 years old I could see it from my bedroom window!!
Finally in the bottom right hand corner is another epiphany embellishment of the floozie in the jacuuzi. Probably the most iconic water feature in the city, it seems to look even nicer when it is surrounded by all the amazing stalls at the German Market! 
Then it was a simple case of a Christmas die through the GC and a bit of lettering popped on.  Hopefully the recipient will be pleased with it and it will remind them of their original home. 

I love my new life in Derbyshire and love the more chilled way of life, but at the heart of it I will always be proud to be from Birmingham xxx

13 comments:

  1. Yhis is great - well done

    Kate
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fab card and loving the bull.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've made a great job of capturing what your customer wanted, well done, great card. I'm now following too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have done an exceptional job capturing the essence of what you were asked. I am sure it will be treasured by the recipient. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had fun working on this project to include icons that would remind the recipient of Birmingham. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great; very clever. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im sure the recipient will treasure this as a lovely reminder of their home town.
    Brilliant work

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card I think you have caught it just right. Chris xx

    ReplyDelete